Tom Lee's Highway in 1876
The map shown below is drawn from one of Milo in the 1876 Ensign, Everts & Ensign Atlas of Yates County. It shows an area roughly four miles wide and two deep, with Penn Yan in the west and the Benton town line at the north edge. Thomas Lee Sr. lived near the center of this area, marked on this map by an orchard and house on farm owned by J Hoos just to the left of the numeral "15", which is the number of the Great Lot.
Joshua Lee built his mansion on the site of his father's house. His brother Thomas Lee Jr. ran a tavern known as the Tom Lee Stand on property owned in 1876 by Guy Shaw, directly north of Shaw's property on this map, in the town of Benton. A third brother, James Lee, built a house where the road forked down to his mill on the Outlet; the farm was owned by J Russell in 1876 and is near the right edge of this map. Across the road (now the Ridge Road) was Avery Smith, a brother of James Lee's wife Sarah, who also had milling interests at the same site, a 40-foot fall originally used by the Universal Friends in 1790 for the first gristmill in western New York.
The highway past Thomas Lee Sr.'s home in lot 15 also passed John Lawrence's place just to his east, also on lot 15. Lawrence had come to Milo in 1789 with the Friends, and ran one of the town's first stores. He built a gristmill on the Outlet before 1800 on lot 16, near where another highway crossed the Outlet. Susannah Clamford's place was on lot 18, between Lee's and Penn Yan, on a farm owned in 1876 by A. W. Shearman.
The Himrod Road, as it is now called, is Yates County Rte 1. It crosses
this map diagonally from southeast to northwest, where it becomes East
Main Street in Penn Yan. Schoolhouse No. 10, known in the early 19th century
as the Lawrence Schoolhouse, still stands and is used as a private residence.
No other very early structures remain along this stretch of the highway,
except possibly the house shown here as belonging to L J Sprague in lot
31; part of this house may have been built before 1810 and used as a tavern
by John Van Pelt Sr., a veteran of the Revolution like Thomas Lee Sr.,
John Lawrence and others. Also like Thomas Lee, Van Pelt had a son and
namesake who was an officer during the War of 1812, regarded by so many
contemporaries as the Second Revolution.
[Back to article]