The Village of Dundee and Its Records
Dundee is the county's second largest and second oldest village, incorporated in 1848. The place was first settled about 1807 by Isaac Stark, who was drawn to Big Stream's potential as a source of water power, and built a sawmill near the site of the present bridge. This was more than a decade after the town of Starkey's earliest settlement at Eddytown, and the two hamlets waged a not-altogether-friendly rivalry for years.
The village did not acquire its present name until the time of its incorporation. The whole area was originally known as "Arabia" because of its sandy soil. The crossroads was called Stark's Mill, then Harpending's Corners, then for a time as Plainville. There was at least one effort to rename it Lagrange in 1825 to honor Lafayette's visit to western New York. A local minister is said to have christened it with its permanent name.
About the middle of the 19th century Dundee became an industrial center, with a row of blacksmith shops, forges and small metal fabrication shops along what is now Union Street. The population center of the southern part of the county, Dundee has a small commercial district, fine tree-lined residential streets, a library, an historical society and other amenities.
The village clerk has an office in the village hall, in the same building as the firehouse, on the south side of Union Street.
VILLAGE RECORDS ON MICROFILM
The following series of village records have been filmed, and with the exception of the vital records registers may be viewed at the village office, at the County Historian's office in Penn Yan, or at the New York State Library in Albany.
1848 - 1992 (1901-1951 missing)
VITAL RECORDS REGISTERS
Births, deaths and marriages 1874 - 1913; Births and deaths 1914 - 1994 [INDEX]
Interments in Hillside Cemetery 1927 - 1995