Yates County Cemetery Project
Part VII: Cemeteries in the town of Jerusalem
|CAHOON CEMETERY: Notes|
This is one survivor of what must formerly have been a very large number of individual and very small burial grounds in the town. Since so much of the once-open pasture and orchard land on the hill slopes has been abandoned to second-growth woods, nearly all of them have been lost or obliterated.
The Cahoon stones listed here are under the spreading branches of a large tree that was once at the edge of an open field, probably in a hedge row. It appears that a lane led down the hill past them; they were very difficult to find, even with a good description of their location, obtained by town historian Jane Davis. She and the compilers searched the circumference of a great many trees on the hillside before finding them, and yet once there must have been a working farm here with a house and barns, and a lane leading uphill beside the pasture.
|CAHOON CEMETERY: Burials|
|Cahoon Edwin A.||1842 Oct 12||D ae 2/7/11; son of Charles & Emily Cahoon|
|Cahoon Emily S.||1840 Sep 20||D ae 20/7; wife of Charles Cahoon|
|For help with abbreviations and conventions, click here.|