Yates County in 1825
In the year 1823 a number of counties were split off from Ontario, the
"mother" of all counties west of the Pre-emption Line. One of these was
Yates, which comprised five towns: Benton, Italy, Middlesex, Milo and Jerusalem.
these, Italy and Jerusalem had their modern boundaries; Middlesex included
the modern town by that name, plus Potter; and Benton and Milo between
them still included Torrey.
The adjacent county to the south was Steuben. The towns of Barrington
and Starkey had been separated from their respective parent towns of Wayne
and Reading, but they were still part of Steuben County and would not be
annexed to Yates until 1826. Thus, when the census was taken of Yates County
in 1825, the enumeration of these two towns was not included. Even though
Yates County existed when the 1825 census was taken, it would not be until
1830 that the enumeration included the entire modern area of the county.