Yates County Towns in 1820
The county's towns still belonged to Ontario and Steuben Counties.
The county line still ran right through the middle of what would be
within a few years Yates County. The major difference was that in 1815
the peninsula between Keuka Lake's two branches, known as Bluff Point,
had been ceded by Steuben County to the (then) Ontario County town of
Jerusalem, thus bringing the town's boundaries to their modern
The town of Italy was split from Naples in
1815, and though no one knows for sure, presumably the name was derived
from the older town's.
Milo was organized from about half of the older town of Benton in
1818. One of the new town's most prominent citizens, Joshua Lee,
suggested the name Milan (possibly he too was reminded of the Italian
landscape, like the namers of Naples). The name was already in use in
Dutchess County, so he altered his suggestion to Milo and this was what
Milo and Benton between them still included the modern town of
Torrey. Middlesex still included the modern town of Potter.
Barrington and Starkey were still parts of the older towns of Wayne
and Reading respectively; both were in Steuben County.