The Historian's Office 


Site map

The Village of Dresden and Its Records

Dresden was incorporated in 1868 at the peak of its importance as a canal town and merchant milling center. It is Yates County's only planned community, with a grid of streets laid out around public squares in 1811, before anyone actually lived there. No one is sure why the village was named for the German city, though many of the early settlers in the area were German. The failure of the canal in the 1870s, coming on the heels of a series of diastrous fires, and finally the linking of the Northern Central Railroad with Penn Yan along the canal's old right of way, meant that the village never grew as its founders had hoped. It remains one of the smallest incorporated villages in New York, with a population under 400 persons. 

Its records too have not survived well. The Board of Trustees' minutes are spotty and incomplete, but the records kept for the village's cemetery are excellent. Vital records are kept by the town of Torrey, in which the village is located. 

The village hall is located on Firehouse Avenue, within sight of the Torrey town hall on Geneva Street where the vital records registers for both municipalities are kept.

Village Records on Microfilm

The following records series have been microfilmed and except for the vital records are available at the Yates County Historian's office, at the village office and at the State Library in Albany

1893 - 1905, July 1912, June 1914, July 1924 - 1954, 1979 - 1992 (all others missing)

Births, deaths and marriages 1883-1993 [kept at Torrey town office; include whole town] [INDEX]

Evergreen Cemetery records 1826 - 1995